TL;DR: GoodTime's newest Slack integration takes advantage of Sack's latest APIs to provide you with greater functionality. This integration allows for you to send DM (Direct Message) reminders of an upcoming interview to your scheduled interviewers via Slack. In additional to the DM feature, the GoodTime + Slack integration also allows for the automatic creation of 'candidate slack channels'. We define a 'candidate slack channel' as being private slack channel dedicated to aligning the different interviewers who will be meeting with a candidate as part of a specific interview (typically a final round interview where many interviewers are involved). This article provides an overview of the Slack V2 setup and use.
Slack V2 setup:
To activate the Slack V2 integration you will need to follow these steps:
- Speak with someone who has admin rights on your Slack workspace and confirm they want Slack V2 turned on.
- Inform your GoodTime CSM and they will conduct the backend update on your account to support the Slack V2 integration (NB: turning on the Slack V2 integration will disconnect your Slack V1 integration with GoodTime)
- A super admin will go to your Company Settings on GoodTime and scroll down to Slack Integration and will click Integrate (this will trigger a pop-up for your Slack admin to action in Step 4)
- Your organization's Slack admin will need to log into Slack and authorize GoodTime to access your Slack workspace.
- Once your slack Admin authorizes the integration your GoodTime Company settings page will look like this:
- You can then click the 'Test Slack Bot' button to test your integration. If it si working correctly you will receive a confirmation Slack message!
Overview: How the Slack V2 integration operates:
Your Slack integration allows for both DM's to be sent to interviewers as a reminder of an upcoming interview, OR to automatically generate a 'Candidate Slack Channel' which brings multiple interviewers together to support the sending of group reminders or updates about the candiate they are to meet.
Your Slack integration can be triggered at either the 'Company' or 'Template' level.
Within the 'Interview Settings' page you can set a default Slack reminder to send to any of your scheduled interviewers. At the Company level as Slack DM would be most appropriate. If this feels too noisy, you can also trigger Slack DM Reminders at the Template level only or choose to turn OFF the Slack reminder for individuals within their Team profile.
At the template level (within the 'Template Settings' tab) you can choose to match the company settings or trigger a unique Slack reminder for any interviews scheduled with that specific template. It is likely to prove most useful to trigger the creation of a 'Slack Channel' for a candidate's final round interview at the template level (as many early round interviews may not need a slack channel but final rounds interviews might). To trigger the creation of a slack channel you simply need to select the 'Send to Slack Channel' option for your reminders - the channel will create upon sending a Request Availability or Confirmation message to your candiate and reminders to your interviewers will trigger based on the time set in the Template Settings.
Deep Dive: Slack direct message (DM) interviewer reminders:
The Slack DM Feature will pull the 'Interview Description' details from your interviewer's calendar event and share these directly with your scheduled interviewer via Slack.
You can adjust the interview description in your Slack Reminder DM by up dating the interviewer calendar events within your interview templates. You can set the time at which these DMs are sent either by updating the interview reminder settings within the 'Interview Settings' at the company level or in the 'Template Settings' at the Template level.
Here is an example of what the Slack DM will look like when sent to your interviewers:
The Candidate Slack Channel Feature:
The Slack channel feature allows for GoodTime to automatically generate a private Slack channel that includes all of your invited interviewers. The creation of this kind of Slack channel allows for the hiring team and all interviewers to be aligned prior to meeting with a candidate. A Slack channel also allows for Recruiters and Coordinators to send group reminders to the interviewing team. NOTE: When using the Slack channel feature at the Company/'Interview Settings' level a channel will be created for every interview that lands on your GoodTime dashboard. If using the Slack channel at the Template/'Template Settings' level a channel will be created for every interview scheduled via that template. If you chose to schedule an interview across multiple days a channel will be created for each day (i.e. for each interview that lands on your GoodTime dashboard).
When you have selected the 'Send to Slack Channel' option a Slack channel will be automatically triggered to be generated as you finalize either the 'Request Availability' or 'Schedule Now' workflows. The following table provides you with an overview of the key stages in the Slack Channel lifecycle:
|When is the Channel Created?||~ 1 minute after hitting either the 'Request Availability' or 'Schedule Now' button in GoodTime.|
|Name of channel?||If using 'Request Availability' workflow:
gt-pending date-Candidate Firstname-Candidate Last initial-Job name-hash
Example: gt-pending date-daniel-s-backend engineer-908935
If using 'Schedule Now' workflow:
gt-YYYY-MM-DD-Candidate Firstname-Candidate Last initial-Job name-hash
Example: gt-2013-09-01-daniel-s-backend engineer-908935
|Channel Topic?||If using 'Request Availability' workflow:
pending date-Candidate Firstname-Last Initial-Interview with names of Interviewers
If using 'Schedule Now' workflow:
YYYY-MM-DD-Candidate Firstname-Last Initial-Interview with names of Interviewers
|Who is in the channel?||- Scheduler of this interview (the Coordinator in GoodTime)
- All Interviewers who are invited
|Does the channel show when a candidate replies to a RA invite?||
- Yes. If a channel is created during the Request Availability workflow, it will be posted in the channel with the candidate replies (and the channel title will be updated to reflect the date when the interview is confirmed).
|What do reminders look like in the channel?|
|What do channel Accepts and Declines look like?|
|Are interview reschedules captured?||- Yes. If an interview is rescheduled it will be flagged int he Slack channel and the channel name will be updated to reflect the new interview date.|
- Your candidate slack channels will be automatically archived 14 days after the interview takes place (you are also able to manually archive a channel earlier if you wish).
Here is a list of common questions about the updated Slack V2 integration:
1. Is this feature only available on certain GoodTime packages? Do we need to upgrade our GoodTime contract to use this feature?
a. The Slack V2 integration is available on ALL GoodTime HIRE product packages. To take advantage of this new integration you will need to disconnect your Slack V1 integration if you have it activated.
2. What will happen when our Slack V1 integration is disabled?
a. If you are using our original Slack integration it will cease to work when it is disabled. It is necessary to disable your Slack V1 integration to activate the updated Slack V2 integration. Please make your hiring team aware that they will not receive Slack notifications from GoodTime while you are upgrading to the Slack V2 integration.
3. Is this a feature we can toggle on and off?
a. Once your Slack V2 integration is activated it will remain on. You can choose how and when you wish this integration to operate by turning it on at the Company/'Interview Settings' level as well as further customize at the Template/'Template Settings' level.
We expect most customer will want to use this upgraded Slack integration as follows:
- Enabling Slack DM notifications at the Company/'Interview Settings' level so that all your interviewers receive a Slack reminder.
- Activating the Slack channel creation at the the Template/'Template Settings' level so that you only trigger the creation of a Slack channel in relation to the conduct of final round interviewers where you have multiple interviewers to coordinate for a single interview.
4. Is there a way to filter what kind of notifications are sent to the Slack Channel or Slack DM?
a. Currently, there is not a way to personalize what information is shared on either of these. Please be sure to request this feature via our Product Portal!
5. Can I change the name of the Slack Channel?
a. No, this is automated. Slack has a limit of 80 characters per channel name. Our goal with these names was to
- 1) include as much information as possible (date of event, first name and last initial of candidate, and job title) and
- 2) make this as easy as possible to find. We recognize you may have dozens of Slack channels to go through—by having all of ours start with “gt-,” you can rest easy in knowing that these will be neatly grouped in your Slack side-bar and if you filter alphabetically will always display in calendar order.
6. What happens if there are multiple stages for a candidate?
a. If a candidate goes through multiple stages, then a separate slack channel is created for each stage of their interview process. It is helpful to think of the auto generated Slack channels being created to reflect each unique interview that lands on your GoodTime Dashboard.
Slack Channel Questions:
1. Can you remove someone from a GoodTime generated Slack channel?
a. Yes. Any members of the channel can remove others, and themselves. This action is completed directly inside Slack and not from GoodTime.
2. Can a removed person be added back? Or can I add more people to the channel?
a. Yes. Any members of the channel can add other people to the channel. This action is completed directly inside Slack and not from GoodTime.
3. Is it possible to suppress the creation of the private channel?
a. Yes. When scheduling an interview, review your 'Template Settings' and simply delete the Slack Channel reminder by clicking “X” on the right, or, by NOT choosing “Send by Slack channel” in the dropdown menu.
4. What information is included on the Slack channel reminders?
a. Slack channel reminders are auto generated and include:
- Title of Event and Description of Event
- Duration and Room Information (if applicable)
- Reminder notification sent to channel (determined based on template settings)
- Any changes made (interviewer swapped, interviewer declined, interviewer accepted, event rescheduled, event canceled).
5. What happens to the Slack channel after the event is over?
a. All GoodTime generated Slack channels will automatically archive 14 days AFTER the last event takes place.
6. Are all interviewers a candidate has met/will meet with added on each Slack Channel?
a. No. Only interviewers who are associated with the interview being scheduled/ in the interview taking place on the day in question are included on that Slack Channel. You are able to ADD people to the auto created Slack channel if you wish.
7. What will the Slack channel look like if we schedule big panel interviews across multiple days?
a. Each event would be its own channel (e.g. Day 1, Day 2, etc.).
8. Can someone who is a contractor be on a Slack Channel created for an interview?
a. Yes, so long as they are an authorized user of your Slack workspace